Monday 25 April 2011

GSOH REQUIRED

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, how come lawyers grow rich from clients suing hordes of people over allegations of plagiarism?


I read a very interesting piece yesterday about intellectual copyright in the world of Oscar-winning luvvies:-


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1379933/The-day-I-sat-Emma-Thompsons-kitchen-accused-stealing-movie.html

(Quite interesting what it says about lawyers, too.)


Anyway, I myself have been 'flattered' of late, it turns out.  


A few months ago, having tired of the weirdos I'd been encountering on established dating sites, I decided it would be far preferable to encounter weirdos on a site of my very own making.  Apart from anything else, a great way of being required to talk to every man who happened along, n'est pas?  And so my singles site was born.  


The membership grew quite quickly and I instigated a regular monthly coffee morning, along with organizing the usual sort of drinks evenings, visits to the local book market, and so on.  I wrote the questions for the members profile page to include which attributes best described them and what attributes they were looking for, leaving space for each person to list their their interests and passions.


Naturally, since I'm moving out of the area, continuing to run such a group would be impossible, so I found someone to take it over.  Would have been a shame to see it go under, it having in excess of 50 members.


Well, guess what?  Another singles site has sprung up!  Here in Nice, where my singles site is based!  


Regular readers to this blog might like to hazard a guess as to whom they've met on these pages who would have the chutzpah to do just such a thing...


...any luck yet?


Well, here's a clue.  Remember Pam?  She of the school of kamikaze driving and secret socializing sites?  The one who threw me out of her group for committing the heinous crime of not having turned up to an event on a wet Wednesday afternoon, thus causing permanent emotional scarring to her members?


Yes.  Pam has started a new singles site.  Here in Nice.  It has the word 'singles' in the title. As does mine. As the second word. Just as in the name of my group.


There are a few differences, however.  Like, er, the secrecy thing.  If you're a non-member you have to join (usual Pam essay required to persuade the esteemed Organizer you're worthy of membership) before you can see if there's anyone there with whom you might like to mingle. (I think Match.com might learn a thing or two from Pam).  


And oh, the profile page...


WHY ARE YOU JOINING THIS GROUP???


WHAT CITY ARE YOU LIVING IN NOW???


HOW MUCH FREE TIME DO YOU HAVE???


WHAT TYPE OF ACTIVITY DO YOU WANT FROM THIS GROUP???


FRIENDS OUT OR HOOK UP???    (?)


STAND UP STRAIGHT, MAN!!!  (I added that one myself).


GRRR...(I added that one, too).


Not sure how, but this group appears to be related to something called Looking for Fun Cote D'Azur 2011


Well, if that's somebody's idea of fun, I'd rather sit in front of the TV and watch the Royal Wedding coverage, ta very much.  Whilst having my fingernails pulled out.  Very slowly.


You're not really going to be surprised when I tell you I wrote to Pam, are you?


No, thought not.


I asked her how many singles groups she thinks Nice can support, and whether she'd mind if I started up a group with the same premise of one of her other sites.  


Surprise, surprise, am still awaiting a reply. But then, who am I kidding?  I haven't submitted 2000 words about myself to be worthy of an email acknowledgment.  


Tsk.



***




P.S.  There's an upper and a lower age limit!  As there is with Pam's other sites!  25 to 58, or some other unfathonable random selection. 


Oh, and:-


This group is for singles, and those looking for fun/ relationships who know what they want, and have good reason!  You've got the finances...and the personality to go with it!! 


Screening and selection apply to each candidate.


ZZZzzz...







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice, but not funnier than me. Thanks.